I’m not one to cook super complicated meals with fancy recipes and special ingredients. I like our dinners to be healthy, easy, and uncomplicated. Cooking potatoes in the Instant Pot has been a game changer for our family dinners! We make baked potatoes this way, as well as mashed potatoes. It’s simple and quick – and you don’t have to stand there watching the pot to make sure it doesn’t boil over!
I prefer to clean my potatoes before cooking – especially if they are conventional potatoes. Potatoes are a highly sprayed crop, so cleaning off as much dirt and pesticide residue as you can is important. I like to use this fruit and veggie soak, but you can also use vinegar and lemon juice.
I do make exceptions for home grown potatoes… store these unwashed and then rinse off the dirt before you cook!
How to cook potatoes in the instant pot
- Add 1 cup water to the bottom of the pot.
- Put the trivet in or use a basket like this one that I use.
- Put all the potatoes in the basket or on the trivet.
- Close the lid and the steam vent.
- Set the Instant Pot on high pressure for 16 minutes *you can get away with less time if your potatoes are very small*
- Naturally release for 5 minutes *you may be able to skip this if your potatoes are small*
That’s it! Easy peasy.
Now obviously these potatoes cooked this way are not technically baked – but they taste great and since they are so hands off, they make the perfect easy side dish. I grow some of my own potatoes, and then I buy organic potatoes in bulk from Azure Standard.
You can also take these potatoes and turn them into mashed potatoes right from here! This is the only way I ever cook my potatoes for mashed potatoes anymore. I just add butter, cream, salt, and milk (yes… dairy heavy mashed potatoes are the only way to go ;) and then mash them!