I’m always looking for easy, healthy meals – especially meals that we can make (and eat) quickly on nights that my kids have sports. This gluten free dutch baby recipe is great for nights you need an easy meal or it makes a hearty and healthy breakfast!
This post contains affiliate links
This recipe is so simple! It’s a great one to teach your kids who are learning to cook. I highly recommend cooking this in a 10-12in. cast iron skillet – if you don’t have cast iron, my second choice would be stoneware. I think these cook Dutch babies the best.
Gluten Free Dutch Baby Recipe
**This recipe works great doubled or even tripled! We triple it for our family of 7**
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup gluten free flour (I prefer Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 baking flour – the one in the blue bag)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1-2 tsp cinnamon*
- 1 tsp vanilla*
*optional, but highly recommended*
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Put the butter into your skillet, put the skillet in the oven, and melt it. Be careful that it doesn’t burn!
*If you are doubling or tripling the recipe, use two skillets*
- Mix all ingredients – you can do this in a blender to make the batter nice and smooth, or you can do this in a mixing bowl with a whisk. Just mix the batter as smoothly as you can.
- Take the skillet out of the oven and spread the butter around the skillet.
- Pour in the batter.
- Put the skillet(s) back into the oven and bake for 16 minutes. At this point, check to see if it’s ready – it should be puffed up and slightly browned on top.
*If you are cooking more than one skillet using both racks, you may need to switch one from the bottom rack to the top and cook for another couple minutes*
- Pull out of the oven and let the Dutch baby settle – it will deflate. Then you can cut it, add a topping, and eat!
Get the FREE list!
How to eat a gluten free Dutch baby
Dutch babies taste delicious with fruit (we love bananas), maple syrup, or powdered sugar on top. But our favorite way to eat them is with a fruit sauce on the top!
If you don’t add any toppings, you can cut the Dutch baby into slices like a pie and take it to-go! This is perfect if you want a healthy meal that you can eat in the car.
Fruit Sauce Recipe
- 2 cups frozen fruit
- 2 Tbsp honey
Put the fruit and honey in a pan on the stove. Cook the fruit until it is very soft and the honey is melted into the fruit.
Use an immersion blender to blend the fruit and honey into a sauce – it won’t be runny, it will be a little thick. If you want it to be runnier, add a little water OR use maple syrup instead of honey.
And then enjoy!!
You may also like: