We just celebrated my youngest son’s birthday this past weekend, so I whipped up some easy cream cheese frosting for his cupcakes. It was AMAZING! We try to avoid refined sugar, so there’s no sugar added in this recipe – I used maple syrup instead.
- 1 cup (8oz) cream cheese, softened
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter
- 4 Tablespoons real maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder* (*if you don’t want chocolate frosting, substitute a squeeze of citrus juice like orange or lemon)
- Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl
- Mix on medium-high speed until smooth (2-3 minutes)
- If needed, chill in the refrigerator briefly to stiffen slightly before spreading.
Makes enough frosting for one 8×8 cake or 12 cupcakes. (Or in our case, 24 mini-cupcakes…. or just eat it with a spoon. I won’t judge. ;)
If you’re following me on Instagram, head over there to see the fun video I made of this recipe!